Root Canal Therapy—Gentle Treatment For Lasting Relief
Our team provides compassionate, expert care to restore your oral health and comfort.
At Laguna Endodontics in Elk Grove, CA, we are dedicated to helping our patients overcome dental discomfort and reclaim their smiles. If you’re feeling apprehensive about root canal therapy, it’s important to remember that it’s a routine procedure designed to relieve your discomfort, not cause it. Our experienced and empathetic team is committed to providing top-tier endodontic care in a friendly, relaxed environment.
Root canal therapy, while a common procedure, can be daunting when you’re unfamiliar with the process. That’s why we believe in educating our patients, ensuring you understand what’s involved, why it’s important, and how it can ultimately bring relief and preservation to your natural smile. We have compiled the following information to help you navigate your root canal journey. Please reach out to our office with any questions or to schedule your appointment.
What Is Root Canal Therapy?
Root canal therapy, or endodontic treatment, is a procedure to repair and save a severely damaged or infected tooth. The treatment involves removing the inflamed or infected pulp (the innermost part of the tooth), carefully cleaning and disinfecting the inside of the tooth, and then filling and sealing it. This procedure helps to eliminate discomfort and prevent further infection or abscesses, preserving your tooth for years to come.
The Importance Of Root Canal Treatment
Root canal treatment is an essential service to maintain your oral health. Without it, an infected tooth can lead to severe discomfort, dental abscess, and even loss of the tooth. By removing the source of infection, root canal therapy alleviates discomfort, prevents the spread of infection, and helps preserve your natural tooth. It’s a proactive measure to ensure your overall oral health and the longevity of your beautiful smile.
Signs You Need A Root Canal
There are several signs that you might need a root canal. These include:
- Severe toothache, especially when chewing or applying pressure
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold
- Discoloration (darkening) of the tooth
- Tenderness in the surrounding gums
- Recurring pimple on the gums
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, please reach out to our team to schedule an appointment and avoid any further discomfort!
The Root Canal Procedure
The root canal procedure involves several steps, each carried out with the utmost care by our experienced team at Laguna Endodontics. Here’s what you can expect:
- Initial examination and testing: We will first take an x-ray to assess the shape of the root canals and determine the extent of the damage or infection. Various testing procedures will be completed to determine the status of the nerve tissue.
- Local anesthesia: To ensure your comfort throughout the procedure, we will administer local anesthesia to numb the area around the tooth.
- Pulp removal: A small opening is made in the crown of the tooth to access the pulp chamber. The infected or inflamed pulp is then carefully removed.
- Cleaning and shaping: Using special tools, the root canal space is thoroughly cleaned and shaped to prepare for filling.
- Disinfection: The canals are disinfected to eliminate any remaining bacteria and to reduce the risk of further infection.
- Filling the canals: The cleaned and disinfected canals are then filled with a biocompatible material called gutta-percha and sealed with dental cement to prevent future infections.
- Restoration: Finally, the tooth is restored with a crown or filling to protect it and restore its function. This also provides a natural appearance. When your root canal is complete, you will be referred back to your general dentist to complete the restoration.
At Laguna Endodontics, we use state-of-the-art equipment and techniques to ensure your comfort and the success of the procedure. Our team will keep you informed and at ease every step of the way, offering compassionate care that prioritizes your oral health and comfort.
Recovery Following Your Root Canal
After your root canal therapy, it’s normal to experience some sensitivity or discomfort for a few days. Over-the-counter discomfort relief medication can usually manage this effectively. We recommend avoiding chewing on the treated side until any temporary discomfort has subsided. With proper aftercare, the treated tooth can last as long as your natural teeth. Our team at Laguna Endodontics will guide you through the recovery process and provide personalized post-operative care instructions to aid your healing.